Thursday, August 2, 2012

More and Less--a Guest Post at Carrie's Busy Nothings



I listened while my friend described the culture of materialism all around her. The women at her daughter’s preschool who tempt each other with their Blackberries. The neighbors and their bigger televisions. The movies and all the riches they advertise.

I nodded, trying to figure out how to describe to her the English expression “keeping up with the Joneses.”
You see, I live in Indonesia, where most of my Indonesian friends make between $100-$200 a month. The lucky ones with jobs anyway. I was visiting my friend in her one-bedroom teeny tiny house that she shares with her husband, her daughter, her brother and her sister.

Find out what I discovered next at my guest post at Carrie's Busy Nothings. I met Carrie Koens when her husband, Peter, and she provided some short-term work for MAF here in Tarakan a few years ago. Thanks for letting me post, Carrie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips