Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year's Realizations

I have always been a goal-maker and list-creator. I am ambitious and usually keep a running list of lofty goals I want to accomplish each year. (Although, I am not nearly as good at actually keeping those resolutions.)

But I’m a new mom. (My baby is seven months old.) And honestly, I am sleep-deprived and busy with trying to figure out this mom thing, while moving back and forth between Indonesia and the States. And the goals of yesteryear just don’t seem as important…or possible.

I see so much of life, now, from a different perspective—from the eyes of a mom. It has allowed me to get a glimpse of how God views me as His child. So, this morning, I had this thought that God was encouraging me to focus more on allowing Him to simply love me and care for me, instead of me being concerned with setting a bunch of goals.So, after spending some time in prayer, I’ve created a list of New Year’s Realizations that I really want to remember and focus on this year, in place of the regular-old resolutions.

1. God loves me more than I love my own baby. I’ve found that I love my baby so much that it can bring me to tears. And just as my baby doesn’t have to do anything to earn my love, God loves me just as I am.

2. God has given me a healthy body, with the amazing abilities to walk, see, hear, touch, taste, feel and laugh. So, even if I ate too much during the holidays, I need to remember that my body is a gift and God’s creation.

3. God must love to see me smile and hear me laugh just as much (probably more) than I love to see Evan laugh and smile. (That little boy’s laughter is one of my favorite things in the world.)

4. God enjoys being with me. Just as I love to be with Evan, watching him try new things, learn new things, or sometimes just sit there and play with a toy, I think God simply enjoys being with us no matter what we’re doing.

5. God enjoys it when I have time to sit with Him, just as I love when Evan isn’t too busy (and he is so busy these days) to sit and snuggle with me for a few minutes.

I hope you can also enjoy being God’s adored child this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips