Thursday, December 18, 2008

No Strings Attached

I wish I could say I have never had conditional love for God. Unfortunately, all too often, when things get tough, I find myself asking God, “why?” And what I’m really saying it, “Why would you ever allow my life to be tough when you could make it all nice and easy?”

At a Christmas program this week, the pastor told a story written by Soren Kierkegaard about a king who fell in love with a peasant. He wanted the peasant to love him for himself, and not for his money and power. So, he came to live in secret with the commoners to win her love.

The story rang true with me. It reminded me that God wants us to love Him for Him, and not for what He can do for us. I read a book this year that has become one of my favorites—“Prayer” by Philip Yancey. He touches on that theme a bit.

I’ve been learning how much God enjoys love from us and truly longs to be in a relationship with us. I don’t ever want Him to think of me as a fair-weather friend, only loving Him when He showers me with blessings, and turning away from Him when He allows me to struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips